Monday, December 19, 2011

My Antonia behind the book/scenes

Willa Cather in her novel "My Antonia" offers her view of life during the pioneer time.
How would "My Antonia" be different if it were told from Antonia's perspective? My Antonia, if told from Antonia's perspective would be very different. A lot of the story is told from Jim's perspective, when he isn't even around Antonia. So the story would go much more in depth  into Antonia's failed engagement and her pregnancy with her first child. Then it would also talk more about her home life after she meets Cuzak and how she meets him. Also, maybe we would find out that Antonia loved Jim when they were younger like Jim loved her.
How effective is Cather? A woman who is narrating a story from the point of view of man? Willa Cather was very effective at portraying a man. She showed his want and love for Antonia, his family, and his work on the farm. I think that she showed the character as Jim very well and built all the other characters around him very good.

Why do u think Jim changed the title from Antonia to My Antonia?     In the beginning of the book when Jim changed the book from Antonia to My Antonia I think this was very significant because he is showing that he still loves her. Even though she is  married they will always love one another.
Due to all of this I think that Willa Cather had a very good grasp of Pioneer Time. She showed all of the struggles, hardships, and the simplicity of it all. She has an exceptional view of this time and I would love to see another book made from Antonia's view.

No comments:

Post a Comment